The Pieroth family traces its origins and wine producing tradition back to the year 1675 when their ancestor Heinrich Pieroth was listed as living in the village of Stromberg. Stromberg is located next to Burg Layen in the Nahe valley where the family's ancestral home and the company's Headquarters are now situated.
Farmers and vintners initially (as is still common today) the family enlarged its vineyard holdings over the years. In 1732 the large ancestral home was built. Today it servers as a customer and training centre.
It was not until 1905 that the then senior of the family Ferdinand Pieroth stated in his diary that growing vines had become the main source of business. Another step was taken in 1926 when for the first time the wines were bottled at the estate. Then in 1928 all non vine growing business was discontinued. As the renown of the estate grew it became apparent that the family needed to distinguish their superior quality wines from others. Thus, in 1930 the now famous Pieroth Eagle logo was born. It has undergone several changes over the years but it continues to stand for what it was born namely "exquisite and superior quality wines".
World War II disrupted the steady growth of the family's business. But when from 1953 the younger generation of Elmar and Kuno Pieroth took charge they did not feel bound by their elders' traditional ways. They recognized the value of personal relationship and trust which the family developed over the years with their loyal customers who visited the estate to taste and select their wines. But they felt that such trust and relationship need not be limited to those who came to a "cellar door tasting". It also had its inconveniences for many loyal customer. They initiated the "Pieroth Home Wine Tasting" permitting customer to taste and select at their leisure at home or in the office, alone or with friends the wines they favoured. Among traditionalists it was a revolution then but today it has become " the way" discerning wine lovers choose their wines.
Honouring traditional values but going with their times has enabled Pieroth to become the World's No. 1 Direct Sales Wine Company. While globalisation is the all-powerful slogan at present Pieroth went beyond its borders already in 1958 establishing Pieroth Ltd. in the UK. In 1963 and 1964 it even established companies in the most traditional wine countries of all, France and Italy. In 1969 Japan became it’s first overseas venture soon followed by the US (1970), Australia (1972) and Hong Kong in (1975). Today Pieroth is successfully established in 16 countries and areas around the world namely Australia, Austria,, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, Tunisia and the USA.
To celebrate its 300 years anniversary in 1975 and establish a clear identity for the wine producing region in which the family has lived continuously for so long and to distinguish its unique and exquisite wines from those of the Rhine and Moselle river Pieroth created the Blue Bottle. Since then Pieroth has bottled all its superior fruity Nahe wine in the now famous bottle which has become known throughout the world as "Pieroth Blue".